We’d love to start OpenHack in as many cities as possible. This site is meant to facilitate starting new OpenHack groups, but isn’t meant to actually “run” or “RSVP” for groups. If you want to add your city, here’s what you should do:
- Fork, and clone the openhack.github.com repo.
- Install Ruby (sorry!),
gem install bundler; bundle
rake city NAME=YOUR_CITY_NAME.
So if you live in “Bananas, NY”, it would be
rake city NAME='Bananas, NY'. This should make a
bananasdirectory with an
index.markdownfile for your city. EXTRA CREDIT: pass the specific ADDRESS where your group meets to get a more detailed pin on the map. Example:
rake city NAME='Baltimore, MD' ADDRESS='2400 Boston St Baltimore MD 21224'
- Edit the
index.markdownfile with information about your meetup! Run
raketo see the site in action on
- Also edit
_config.ymlto correct the name of your city and its state/country.
- Commit your changes, push to your fork, and submit a pull request to the main repo. Once accepted, we’ll add you to the main repo so you can update your city’s page at any point.
And that’s it! If you have feedback on this process, just open up an issue and ask a question!
If your group will have a presence on Twitter, you can follow these recommendations to get started quickly.
For an example of what this looks like, please see @OpenHackIC.
Most OpenHack Twitter accounts use usernames like this:
- OpenHackBHM for Birmingham
- OpenHackFW for Fort Wayne
- OpenHackIC for Iowa City
- OpenHackPGH for Pittsburgh
- Photo: Use
- Header: Maybe a picture of your city or one of your meetups.
- Background: Use
tile.png. Make sure to check the “Tile background” option.
- Background color:
- Link color:
- Overlay: White